<$BlogRSDUrl$>



Monday, October 06, 2003

Big Blue Poker

Sign up on Party Poker for a $100 free deposit bonus.

Whadda weekend. Let's see if I can recap in succinct fashion.

"Royal" came down from Michigan on Friday evening. We ended up hitting Century Inn for some prime rib, beers and baseball. The prime rib and garlic mashed potatoes were the perfect foundation for some heavy drinking.

Back at the farm, we laid waste to over a case of beer. We initially were destroying Party, winning about $60 on 2.4 in fifteen minutes and then finishing second in a $30 nl freeze-out. And then the wheels fell off. I think we lost $130 by the time it was said and done - all in single table tourneys....UGH. Not that it mattered, cause I had a blast. Ended up playing heads up NL versus Royal and beat him two outta three. That was the highlight of my weekend because he is a superior no-limit player. I'm just a limit grinder. But after about twelve beers, it's just easier to move-in everytime than to use any type of strategy and anyone who knows me knows that beer = my spinach. Like Popeye.

Royal > Me

This weekend is not ordinary behavior with me - but still, my wife is very cool to put up with chaos with a buddy once in a blue moon. I think we were hooting and hollering pretty loud when our flopped straight went down to a river flush in a massive no-limit pot.

And now for the good stuff: BlueGrass Poker Series!!! Dann came over and picked up Royal and I in his spiffy red Mustang around 4:00. We hit Lexington in plenty of time to go grab some grub and prepare for the evening of no-limit fun. Royal and Dann are very similar, extremely smart guys coupled with wry perspectives, so the drive down banter was fun to listen to.

A little explanation: the BlueGrass Poker Series is a 125 person, monthly no-limit tourney tourney that has grown from one guys home game to a spectacle of poker unmatched in this area. Apparently the guy who runs it went to college with a guy who owns a rather large hotel in Lexington and gets banquet hall rental space on the cheap. Each monthly tournament has one rebuy that goes to another prize pool for the final tourney in April. The winner of the tourney in April will win a seat to the WSOP 10k NL championship event. They keep monthly records and chart players rankings which makes it kinda interesting. As an added bonus, they have a full cash bar and being that the tourney is located in Kentucky, smoking at the tables is fully encouraged.

You get $100 in tourney chips and the blinds start at either 1.2 or 2.4, depending.

Dann, Royal and I got our seats and dug in. I had finished 50th in the last tourney and I had decided to play a loose, aggressive game this time around instead of the tight game I typically play. I figgered I was better off trying to build a stack than getting blinded off like last time (when I came down by myself and didn't want to leave in the first few orbits, after the drive).

Long story short: in my nearly three hours of tourney play, I won exactly ZERO hands at showdown. I can honestly say that has never happened to me before. I only played 3 hands to a showdown and all three lost. I never, ever got a hand. The best hand I was dealt was KTo. Amazing. I stole and stole and managed to tread water, but at some point I needed a legit hand and it never happened. Finally moved in when blinds hit 10-20 (my stack was down to 50) on my big blind with K9o and got knocked out by Big Slick.

But here's the awesome part of this tale: Dann had been playing great, muscling his stack up to t430 when he moved in after flopping two pair. He got called in two places and ended up losing to a rivered straight.

The amazing thing was: DANN WAS DOWN TO $4. He had four stinking white chips. FOUR WHITE CHIPS.

My buddy, down from the weekend, made a funny move by telling the third guy who was allin that the side pot belonged to Dann, giving him an additional $4 chips, when actually Dann had lost it. Not that big of a deal EXCEPT Dann then ran that $8 into $900 by the next break. Freaking unbelievable display of comeback poker. People were all talking about him. :)

Funny thing is, Dann was very irked about that all-in with his two pair. In a good way. :)

This post is already too long so I'll wrap it up. Dann ended up finishing seventh. I'll have to ask him about the hand that knocked him out.

Regardless, he played no-limit poker as well as you possibly can.

An odd note was that the guy who runs the tourney AND his wife both made the final table. They both wore matching baseball caps and wraparound sunglasses. I've internally mocked most of the people wearing sunglasses in this tourney cause quite simply, they look like idiots. It's not like this is the WSOP or anything. But now I'm contemplating wearing them.

Played in a 2-4-10 spread game after I got knocked out. Drunken, massively extroverted guy from Queens kept wanting to put me in the game even though he knew absolutely nothing about hold em. After he went and sat down in the game, I followed suit and sat with $100 which I promptly lost to a rivered flush, straight and boat. For the record, I did not win ONE single showdown hand the entire night of poker. Damn fluctuations are due to swing my way.

But I truly had a blast - the Kentucky guys are more than friendly. The boys and I talked about running a similar tournament here in Cincinnati. I could easily get several dozen players in a poker tourney, just among friends and acquaintances - with some dedicated PR I could do far better. I really need to research both rental halls and the legality. Perhaps we could host the poker game in Northern Kentucky for certain unnamed reasons......

Sigh. This is about as verbose as I get on a Monday morning.


All Content Copyright Iggy 2003-2007
Information on this site is intended for news and entertainment purposes only.


100% Signup Bonus at PokerStars.com up to $50

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?