<$BlogRSDUrl$>



Saturday, January 31, 2004

Alrighty then, thanks for reading and please come back. I'll be back with a regular post tomorrow.

Shill groveling alert: Sign up with IGGY on
Party if you are silly enough to not currently be playing there. Use IGGY1 for a $100 bonus on Empire (the same damn site!) if you want to play under a new name.

Saw this post on 2+2. Jason from Poker Odyssey blog taking a break:

---

Well, it's a little after 5am as I write this and I'm dog tired. I've been wanting to make this post for about a week now, but had to think some things through before I did.

I've decided to take some time off from writing my "Poker Odyssey" updates. This will be the last post for the foreseeable future, although I may decide to bring the Odyssey back at a later date.

There are a variety of reasons I'm putting my writing on hold, but mostly it's because I feel like my updates all sound the same anymore and they are starting to hamper my growth as a player rather than improve it. I've realized I'm at the point of my "career" where I need to just play the game and gain experience at the tables. Up until this point I was discovering new things about the game every time I turned around, now the revelations are less frequent (but usually more profound). I'm certainly not claiming to be an expert, but I am now aware of the fact the new lessons will only be learned after many hours at the tables.

I don't want this to turn into another "I'm turning pro" post. Seems like there's one of those going up every other day. Fact is, I'm already a pro (I've only worked a job for six weeks out of the last six months), but I need to start acting (and playing) like one. I've always had a problem playing enough hours to support myself. As one of my friends would say, I've fallen into the "earnings = expenses trap". Meaning I always make enough to get by, but I'm not going anywhere. I've been stuck in the same rut for the last six months and it's getting old.

In that regard, I've decided to focus on poker for the next six months. I need to put in some serious hours, some serious study, and see what happens. I feel that six months is a long enough period of time for me to ascertain if poker is "in my blood" so to speak. At the same time six months is short enough that I can still get back into the job market if discover that it's not. At the end of summer I plan to reevaluate my options and make a more long-term decision.

I've also decided I'm going to spend the next month in "lurk" mode. I want to take some time to step back and observe what others have to say, as well as do some exploring in the strategy forums...there are many areas of 2+2 I wish I read more of, so this will be a good opportunity to do so.

I wish all of you the best of luck in February....I'll see you again in March.

Peace,
Jason

---

I wish him good luck, of course.

I wouldn't enjoy poker nearly as much if I HAD to play it, to earn a living.

Also, I've been meaning to post this excellent story from Felicia with her permission.

-

In the old days, you were not allowed to call an all-in if YOU didn't have the all-in covered! There were no side-pots. If you couldn't cover the guy's bet, you couldn't call. This was to prevent short-buys, obviously. That is why guys were giving up rings, watches, wagons, homes, etc. That is how we got the term, "the nuts," because men would bring into the saloon the lug nuts from their wagons, since they were usually heavily loaded with goods from a shopping trip, and therefore susceptible to theft.

They would put the lug nuts into a pouch, then, if they couldn't cover a bet with cash, or just wanted to use their wagon as currency, they could bet the lug nuts, basically putting their wagon up as a bet, or calling an all-in, with "the nuts."

-

And a hearty CHEERS to PokerGrub for writing a great post about poker blogging and WINNING a limit multi-table tournament. Wooohoo! Way to go, Grubby!

I'm in the midst of a multi NL table myself, so I'm gonna make this short.

Thanks BG, I'm following your advice and taking New England. :)



All Content Copyright Iggy 2003-2007
Information on this site is intended for news and entertainment purposes only.


100% Signup Bonus at PokerStars.com up to $50

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?