<$BlogRSDUrl$>



Monday, January 12, 2004

TJ Cloutier & Dan Harrington Poker Blogs

"For the true gambler, money is never an end in itself. It's a tool, like language or thought."
Lancey, The Cincinnati Kid

I'm saddened that with this post, the vegan bashing goes into the archives. Lotsa good stuff in da archives.

Alrighty then, where was I? Oh yeah, continuing my dissertation on how to choke in large no-limit tournaments, I finished 30th last nite with twenty places paying a seat in the Big One. 500+ players. This time I overplayed AK after three hours of perfect poker. Lost my 90k stack on the turn of one card. Good times!

However, I take solace in that I played very well until that one damn hand. One no-limit concept that I've taken to heart from Doyle Brunson's SuperSystem, is the bet into the pre-flop raiser play. If I had the book handy I'd quote from it. But for now, thank you Doyle.

Check out these numbers from Party Pokers Big Weekend Tournament.

-
Buy-In $200 + $15
Entrants 1700
Total Prize Pool $340,000
Places Paid 80

PartyPoker.com’s Sunday tournament drew a maximum capacity Super Mega field! 1700 players competed for a prize pool of $340,000 with yoridori outlasting the field to claim the 1st place prize of $68,000.

1st: yoridori $68,000.00
2nd: sakti $40,800.00
3rd: cibom1905 $23,800.00
4th: callonlyonce $20,400.00
5th: royo1 $17,000.00
6th: Getcher $13,600.00
7th: Steve1219 $10,200.00
8th: Wildcat77 $8,500.00
9th: TjStone20 $6,800.00
10th: imallinn $5,100.00
-

THAT'S why I'm playing satellites.

Interesting update from Inthacup on 2+2. If you'll recall my prior post, he is attempting to earn ten grand playing $100 Sit and Go's.
-
So far this week, I’ve played in 79 100+9s and 16 200+15s.
100+9 stats:
79 Tourneys
% in money: 45.57%
Gross winnings: $12,400
Net winnings: $3,789
Avg. Finish: 4.47
-

Ready for even more incredible poker coverage from the mainstream press? The poker gold rush continues.

Fox News reporting on
Vegas, Baby: TV Bets on Gambling
--
"This is a trend that's going to continue," said Kristin Veitch, a TV columnist for E! Online. "The guys need something to watch while the women are watching how to make over their homes."
--

Good Lord, if I was Felicia I'd be offended by that statement. I'm happy to see some poker bloggers introduce themselves on her excellent poker mailing list.

Geepers, they are playing hold-em all over Kansas in bars.
Fans flock to new local card tourneys
-
Several bars, including Club Groove at 1206 S. Rock Road, offer their own poker tournaments. Ron Denoncourt, who owns Club Groove, said his tournaments draw as many as 500 people a week.

And the new Amateur Poker League, run by entrepreneur Dave Wallace, has at least 1,200 active members who play every night of the week at bars across the city.
-

Investigation follows publishing of above article.

From the I can't make this shit up department:
CNN is reporting that online gambling site PartyPoker.com replaces automaker Dodge as sponsor of the Lingerie Bowl, the controversial Super Bowl halftime pay-per-view show that will feature models wearing lingerie playing tackle football.
Lingerie Bowl has new sponsor

Clearly, the decline of Western Civilization is happening right before my eyes.

A long, worthwhile read from Newsday.
The Real Deal
-
Poker-loving Americans - estimates run as high as 80 million - plunk down their chips everywhere from posh California card halls to college dorms in Suffolk County. "If you ask me, poker is the new extreme sport," said Kathy Raymond, director of poker operations at Foxwoods, often a site of televised World Poker Tour showdowns. On Web sites, eager players post messages like singles scouting dates for Saturday night.

"Queens boy looking for low limit Hold'em to play with other poker lovers," one entry said. Another declared: "My name is Mark. I live in Lakeview, have a wife, 2 kids, a dog, 2 cats, 2 turtles and an iguana who all play poker. One has to sit out when we play stud. We love Hold'em, Omaha8, and Hi/Lo Stud." An upbeat individual with the tag "brewbro520" proclaimed: "I think Suffolk County has great potential to become a producer of some of the top players in the world. The more we play together, the better we will get...."
-

Toronto Star comments on celebrity poker at the end of this column.
Reality TV gets twisted
-
Discovery's Travel Channel has had particularly good luck in this regard, pulling in unprecedented numbers with their own World Poker Tour and its all-star offshoot, the Hollywood Home Game — apparently, the only thing their viewers enjoy more than watching people play poker is watching famous people play poker.
-

The Dayton Daily News has a blase article on the poker phenomena.
TV poker proves a ratings draw
-
"Poker is very hot," Travel Channel Executive Vice President Rick Rodriguez says. "It really is a cultural juggernaut."
-

And last but certainly not least, from trade mag, Television Week, we have this about the WPT and TV poker competition:
Flush With Success
-
Steven Lipscomb doesn't have much of a poker face. As he left the ballroom stage at the Television Critics Association press tour in Hollywood last week, the "World Poker Tour" creator was beaming like a novice card player holding pocket aces.

Reruns of his Travel Channel series are performing better than the original premieres. The much-anticipated second season of "WPT" is about to launch with higher-stakes winnings and increased production values. Fans are having poker parties to watch the show and flocking to his tournaments-some spending thousands of dollars for a shot at making it to the coveted "WPT" final table.

"We are on fire," said Mr. Lipscomb, whose recent renewal deal with the Travel Channel is worth $40 million over six years. "We spend a lot of time on cloud nine. It will be very tough for anybody else to catch us."
-

Wow, I keep waiting for the poker insanity to end, or at least slow down.
What's next, Party Poker hitting 40,000 players? WSOP entries totalling 2,000 players? As I've said so many times before, this whole thing is manna from heaven.

Sadly, still no-go on the poker blogger SNG. You know online poker is red-hot when poker rooms are turning down potential new customers.

And for my loyal audience, I've discovered even MORE new poker blogs. Damn, the work I do for you guys and gals. I almost deserve a shill post. Actually, I'm looking forward to a slow news day so I can blog about the actual damn playing of poker.

wcthurston is a new blogger on LiveJournal. He's been up for a week and consistently posting. Let's hope he keeps it up.
--
I am curious, I wonder how much drinking effects my play. Does beer make me more apt to play a hand that I shouldn't? Does it make me more apt to pitch a hand that I should play?
--

Beer is your friend, Thurston. Nuff said.

Oh yeah, I wanted to share this thread I sent to HDouble regarding Sklansky and Izmet and Lee Jones. Oh the humanity.
Insanity from the pokerati.

This is especially worthy. To see the final Final Table at Binions Horseshoe go to: History in the making.

PokerGrub rules. For you poker bloggers out there, Grubby is having a hilarious contest entitled The Hammer Challenge. LOL, I won't be in the running but I'm rooting for all of the rest of you.

Thanks for reading. Dammit, sign up with bonus code IGGY on PartyPoker or for you current Party players, take advantage of the bonuses and second user name on Empire and sign up with IGGY1!

Couldn't resist. :)

Link of the Day:
Say Hello to the Wiener Queen
Through what she describes as a "tireless pursuit of wiener knowledge," the Queen of Cockery has developed a guide to the five male personality types as a method of predetermining penis size. "Why bother wasting an intelligent conversation and kitty cat sex appeal on what will eventually prove to be a genital dwarf?"



All Content Copyright Iggy 2003-2007
Information on this site is intended for news and entertainment purposes only.


100% Signup Bonus at PokerStars.com up to $50

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?