<$BlogRSDUrl$>



Saturday, May 05, 2007

I grew up a pretty big fan of boxing. And gambling on boxing.

And tonight feels like old times, getting together with friends to watch a huge match between Oscar De La Hoya and Floyd Mayweather Jr.

This is arguably the last gasp of dying breath from a once proud sport that is now smoldering in ruins.

And so, I'm going to relish every minute of this evening's event.

During the bout, I'm going to be screaming with a Jekyll and Hyde persona because I've laid a significant amount of dough on Mayweather to win, but I'll be outwardly rooting for De La Hoya.

I can't lose, damnit.

There's a large debate going on about Mixed Martial Arts, and to a greater degree, the UFC, taking over boxing. I'm of the camp that it's already happened.

Over at the insanely popular UFC site that I help with, UFCjunkie, there's a nice writeup about current UFC lightweight champion, Sean Sherk, sitting ringside at the fight and hoping for a fight with Mayweather. Or Maryweather, as I've taken to calling him since he insulted MMA.

It's telling to note that HBO has inked the UFC for future PPV events. ESPN has begun covering the UFC, even adding a link in their navigation menu in their website.

And now there's news that Yahoo! Sports appears to have launched a full-time boxing and MMA section, luring away a blue-chip boxing writer.

But it begs the question: when was the last time there was a new global sport like the UFC? I can't think of one. Racing? Nascar? Hell, the INDY 500 has been going on since 1911, so I don't think that qualifies.

Exciting times, indeed.

But for tonight, I'm going to enjoy every freaking round of two top fighters going toe to toe in the ring. It's going to be a long time before something of this magnitude comes along again in boxing.

I'm gambling on the UFC.


All Content Copyright Iggy 2003-2007
Information on this site is intended for news and entertainment purposes only.


100% Signup Bonus at PokerStars.com up to $50

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?