<$BlogRSDUrl$>



Monday, February 11, 2008

"The King of Kong' is an uproarious, unsettlingly observant and romantically biased documentary on the golden years of classic gaming. The film presents the viewer with a depiction of aging men trying to defend their glory days through combat waged on arcade games, sweetened naturally by the subculture's glorious predilection for social awkwardness."
FilmJerk

I know I'm a little late to the party on this movie, but hell, I was a freshman in high school in 1981, in the heart of the Golden Age of Classic Arcade Games (a 9 year period beginning with the release of Space Invaders in 1978 up through and including the first release of Street Fighter in 1987).

I was an arcade rat, what can I say?

And so now, over 20 years later, I still love games of any kind.

Be they limit texas hold em poker or Centipede, or Galaga, pinball, or Gorf, or even Donkey Kong.

And while I've documented my deep and profound love of documentaries here on this humble poker blog, allow me to add another must-watch. Unlike recent docs about Scrabble, spelling bees, Star Trek or crossword puzzles, there aren't large audiences in this film.

I mean, fucking Donkey Kong came out 26 years ago. What's next? A Scotty Baio reality show on cable tv? Err, wait.

This movie is beyond what Christopher Guest could do. This is why documentaries are so fascinating.

Truth is always stranger than fiction.

Here's the trailer:


All Content Copyright Iggy 2003-2007
Information on this site is intended for news and entertainment purposes only.


100% Signup Bonus at PokerStars.com up to $50

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?